Friday, November 18, 2011

Week 6: Poetry Ch. 6 & 10 3-2-1 Response

3. In chapters 6 and 10, subject matter and finding the poem are discussed. The subjects or objects you can choose to study when writing poetry could be right around you at all times. The text suggests looking at objects around you and imagine how they perceive certain events as opposed to writing in first person about it. Using imagery in poetry helps to describe the setting, feelings, or actions without using many lines. It is much faster to use descriptive adjectives to get across these things than by doing it in the literal sense, as one would in a novel or short story. Imitation and Models are talked about in chapter 10. It is said in the text that you can become a better poet by reading other poets. It is less of being a copy cat and more about using poets for inspiration. By reading and interpreting the works of others, it is easier to understand rhythm and meter for your own poetry.


2. Choosing the subject when writing poetry is very difficult for me. If it is assigned to me then it is very easy, but if i were to try and wrote prose on my own, I don't think it would ever be successful. Also, I think it is difficult to copy other poets when it is hard to understand their work. I don't particularly enjoy poetry so I find it difficult to be serious when writing it. I guess these aren't really questions on the chapter but rather observations about my feelings toward the art form.


1. A question I have for my peers is "how do you write poetry that rhymes without feeling really cheesy?" It seems like every time I put pen to paper and have to rhyme it comes out very sarcastic or sing song-y in a bad way. How do people write rhyming poetry seriously? 

No comments:

Post a Comment