Monday, November 7, 2011

Week 4: Chapter 5 & 6: 3-2-1 Response to the reading

3. Chapters 5 & 6 dealt with fictional place and time. When developing the place in which characters live it is important to remember to have it make sense to who they are and what the conflict is. The place in which a story is set is the atmosphere of the story, or where the characters "breathe" (p. 167). Without describing to the reader the setting in which the story takes place, it may be hard for the reader to fully understand what is happening. When speaking of fictional time, it is the time in which things occur in the story. Some books may only  be a few hundred pages long, but can include the entire life of a character from birth to maturity. The way the author uses time sequences and flashbacks can dictate how much of the character we can understand in the given word count of a story. A flashback can allow an author to explain the significance of an event without having to go into extreme detail about the event. A flashback can be like a summary of events or emotions about an event that can build plot or character. 


2. Revision is something that I find terribly difficult. I have a hard time getting rid of pages or sentences which I feel like I spent a long time preparing. I know now because we have talked so much about, and done some in our own writing, that revision is very necessary in order to have successful writing, but I still can't help to feel attached to what I have written. I would like to read more on how to sift through and navigate to the pure meat and potatoes of stories and get rid of all the extra sides which aren't necessary to the meal of the story.


1. A question I would like to ask my classmates would be " What is the most difficult thing about setting a place in the stories you have written?" Was it easy because you based them on your life? Did you create a place based on something you have seen in a movie or tv show?

No comments:

Post a Comment