Saturday, October 8, 2011

Week 1: Chapter 8 point of view: Who's Irish?

Gish Jen was the author of the story "Who's Irish" that I chose to read from chapter 8. The story is written from first person of  grandma and her only family is her daughter, granddaughter, and son in law. The story is written with a sort of English/Chinese dialect that is difficult to follow at first, but after a few paragraphs I found myself reading along quickly. In the story the grandmother seems to be a care taker of her granddaughter every day, even though she is 67 (70 in Chinese) years old. It is't until an elevated incident at a play ground that I thought anything was wrong with the way she cared for her grandchild. After the incident, her daughter moves her out of the house and she is cut off from the child's life. I thought it was a very sad ending to the story. The parents trusted her to take care of this little girl every day, which was probably too much for a woman of her advanced age to do, and then they are surprised when a problem finally arises. Instead of addressing the issue they shut her off from the child entirely. I think that it is really sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment